The Republic of Cameroon is located at the gulf of Guinea, strategically in the heart of Africa, at the crossroads of the tropical north and the equatorial south.
Cameroon is bordered :
- On the North by the Republic of Chad ;
- On the East by the Central African Republic;
- On the South by Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and Congo Brazzaville,
- On the West by the Atlantic Ocean and Nigeria.
|Land Area :||475, 650 km²|
|Population:||19,4 millions inhabitants (2010) estimates).|
|Population Growth rate:||2.87% inhabitants per km2.|
|Population under 20 years:||60.2%|
|Average population density:||41.81 inhabitants per km2|
|Life Expectancy:||51,7 years|
|Literacy rate:||61 %|
|Religions:||56% Christians; 24% Muslims; 30% Animists.|
|Official Languages:||French and English.|
|National day:||20th May.|
|Time zone:||GMT + 1 hour.|
Government & Political System
- Prime Minister & Head of Government Appointed by: Head of State. He is Head of Government.
- Head of State: H.E. Paul BIYA (elected by direct and universal suffrage for a mandate of 7 years).
- Legislative power in the hands of a parliament comprising two (02 ) houses: the Senate comprises 100 members (10 per Region) and the National Assembly with 180 members is elected for a 5 years term of office, renewable.
- Judicial power is vested in the Supreme Court, Appeal and Magistrate Courts
- Currency : Franc CFA (parity as at 22-09-12)
- 1 euro=656 Francs CFA; 1 dollar= 500 Francs CFA
- GDP per capita: USD 1244.
- Distribution of GDP: Primary= 51%; secondary = 27%; tertiary= 22%
- Inflation: 2.5%
- Growth rate: 4.5 % (2012 estimates)
- Gross domestic Investissement: 19% of GDP(2012)
- Foreign direct investment : USD 337 millions(2009).
- Exports: USD 3156 million(2010).
- Imports: USD 5061 million(2010).
- Main exports : petroleum, cocoa, coffee, wood, alumina, rubber, banana, cotton.